A perfect coffee-time dessert to share with your loved ones. Moist, chewy and delicious!
You will need (for 36 bars):
- 13- by 9-inch (3.5 L) cake pan, greased
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup shortening, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup hot coffee
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped or ground nuts
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and brown sugar until smooth and creamy. Add egg and beat until incorporated. Stir in cooled coffee. Blend in flour mixture. Stir in nuts.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown (but do not overbake!). Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into bars and enjoy! 🙂
Please note: This recipe is an adaptation of the recipe for Coffee Raisin Nut Bars from Esther Brody’s 500 Best Cookies, Bars & Squares (Robert Rose Inc: 2004. pg. 228).