Another recipe!! Think of those chocolate sticks with an orange filling in the center. Like ’em? These cookies taste almost EXACTLY THE SAME! It blows my mind. Enjoy, and do comment and tell me what you think if you try them out. 🙂
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup shortening, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk, divided
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- grated orange zest from 1 orange
- 1 tbsp orange juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using two knives, a pastry blender or the tips of your fingers, cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sugar, eggs, vanilla, half the milk, grated orange zest and orange juice, if using. Beat until the mixture is smooth and blended. Mix together remaining milk and oats and fold into mixture.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls (5 mL), about 2 inches (5 cm) apart, onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately transfer to wire racks to cool.
Makes about 4 dozen.
Please note: This is an adaptation of the recipe for Easy Oatmeal Drop Cookies from Esther Brody’s 500 Best Cookies, Bars & Squares (Robert Rose Inc: 2004. pg. 26).